Fan Fried Rice Bar (740 Driggs Ave.) is a Taiwanese restaurant that opened in May in a quiet corner of South Williamsburg. The menu highlights several different versions of fried rice alongside small bites like popcorn chicken.
September arrives with two new additions to the Fan Fried Rice Bar. The restaurant is opening an additional indoor seating area and starting to serve brunch this month.
For this week’s Community Cookbook recipe, Paul Chen, owner and chef of Fan Fried Rice Bar, shared one of his favorite Taiwanese recipes, a simple tomato side dish.
“This dish is an old-fashioned way to savor fine seasonal produce. It’s a common way to eat tomatoes in rural Taiwan, especially in the south,” Chen said.
Fan Fried Rice Bar’s Southern Taiwan Tomato Platter 古早味蕃茄切盤
For 3-4 people
2 beefsteak tomatoes
1/3 cup soybean paste
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tbsp pureed ginger or chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons plum powder
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and put on a plate.
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- Add all ingredients, except tomatoes, to a small bowl.
- Mix well, taste, add more sugar or ginger if you want more flavor.
- Dip the tomatoes in the sauce and enjoy!