FIA ready to investigate Perez’s Monaco crash if a complaint is filed

FIA ready to investigate Perez’s Monaco crash if a complaint is filed
FIA ready to investigate Perez’s Monaco crash if a complaint is filed

However, the motor racing governing body made it clear on Friday that nothing had been mentioned to it so far and that it was not currently expected to look into the matter.

Max Verstappen’s refusal to accept team orders at the end of last week’s Brazilian Grand Prix was sparked by his annoyance over an unspecified incident with Perez earlier in the year.

While the world champion declined to elaborate on the specific problem he has, it is widely believed in the F1 paddock to be Perez’s crash in the final Q3 race at Monaco in may.

Perez’s crash at Portier, which came a few corners after he locked in and destroyed any chance of improvement in his second moto, raised a red flag and meant no one could improve on his first effort of the session.

It was particularly frustrating for Verstappen, who was looking to wrest pole position from Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc on that second lap before the session was stopped.

While Perez insists his departure was a real accident as he pushed to the limit, there has been a renewed focus on events as Verstappen has clearly remained so annoyed ever since.

It has even been suggested that the new suspicions around the lap – and in particular the questions about the telemetry throttle traces which look very different on the lap compared to previous races – could prompt the FIA ​​to look into the matter to make sure. make sure nothing bad happens.

However, FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said that, with no official complaints about it, the governing body did not need to intervene.

“Nobody told me that we wanted to investigate on our side,” he explained, speaking to selected media including Motorsport.com at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem talks to Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner and Red Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen

Picture by: Motorsport Images

“But if there is something to investigate, we are more than happy. One thing I would really say is that I’m not afraid to lead or come in if there’s a problem. I won’t hide it.

“I will even raise my hand and say [if] there is a problem with the FIA. Otherwise, if I can’t do that, you will never improve and evolve. That I can guarantee.”

A deliberate accident to block the track during qualifying could be considered a serious breach of the rules.
Article 37.5 of the F1 sporting regulations states: “Any driver taking part in a practice session who, in the opinion of the stewards, stops unnecessarily on the circuit or unnecessarily interferes with another driver will be liable to the penalties referred to in Article 37.4.”

Additionally, there could be an argument that deliberately crashing a session’s red flag could be considered unsportsmanlike.

Article 12.2.1.c of the FIA ​​International Sporting Code states that an offense will be committed if there is: “Any fraudulent behavior or any act prejudicial to the interests of any Competition or to the interests of motor sport in general. ”

. FIA ready investigate on the accident Perez Monaco a complaint is filed

. FIA ready investigate Perezs Monaco crash complaint filed

NEXT Bolton Wanderers captain Ricardo Santos ‘improving’, says Ian Evatt